September 1, 2014

...and how it changed my life. LOL. Drama much.

First off, pardon the camera phone-quality photos. I have been dilly-dallying with registering my Adobe Lightroom (boo, the 30-day trial has ended!), which has tremendously spoiled me in post processing. For the meantime, I'm using my Snapseed to edit.

My skin has been breaking out extra badly in the past weeks. :-( I can tell it's hormonal because it's mostly cystic acne. Anyways, many people would say to stop wearing makeup for the skin to get better. I've tried it before but it didn't work for me so I wear makeup anyway. Mehehe. :-) What I've learned, though, is to steer clear of silicone-rich primers, foundations and concealers.

Excuse the bare face an  see how bad my skin has been lately. :-(
My consolation in this ordeal is that I get to practice color correction although I still struggle with color theory. Hehe. I've been using the Graftobian Corrector/Neutralizer Wheel (purchased from Pro Tools Cebu) for a few months already and it's proven to be effective and reliable.

Photo credit: beautyboutique-qatar.com
About the Graftobian Corrector/Neutralizer Wheel:
"contain 10% more pigment than Graftobian's Hi-Def Glamour Cremes to effectively color correct hyperpigmentation, redness, dark circles and blemishes to create an even, workable canvas on your client."
The wheel contains 6 shades (in counter-clockwise order) - muted green, yellow hi-lite, extra hi-lite, soft orange (which looks brown-ish), orange and pink hi-lite (middle of the wheel).

Wait! What's Color Correction?

Quite simply, color correction in makeup is when we neutralize something we want to conceal before actually putting concealer on it. The color theory is used as a guiding principle in this. Green cancels out red; both colors are diagonally opposite each other in the color wheel. A more useful and in-depth explanation can be read in Kevin James Bennett's blog post.

When do we color correct? Take for instance when you have a big pimple. The reflex is to pile on your heaviest-duty and thickest concealer on it to conceal. While this may prove to be effective to some, often a good amount of redness stubbornly peeks through. (Don't you just hate that?) Color correction neutralizes first the redness which decreases it and therefore makes the job of the concealer easier.

How I use the Graftobian Corrector/Neutralizer Wheel in my daily makeup routine:
1) I tap the pointed end of a blending sponge on the muted green corrector then spot-neutralize pimples with a stippling motion.

2) Using the same end of the sponge, I spot-apply a combination of the extra hi-lite and soft orange.

Next photo shows how my face looks like after Steps 1 and 2.

3) For undereye circles, I use a combination of the soft orange, pink hi-lite and extra hi-lite and pat it on my undereye area similar to how regular concealer will be applied. See the last photo for reference.

4) I go over the stubborn pimples with yellow hi-lite and that usually does the trick.

As you can see in the last photo, I wasn't able to perfectly conceal everything. A sheer layer of foundation usually seals the deal for me and gives me the coverage I want. :-)


I'm currently researching and practicing my color theory knowledge. I know I'll be learning much more along the way and hopefully be able to make more use of my trusty Graftobian Corrector/Neutralizer Wheel.



Be blessed always!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.