February 27, 2012

Trying to Get the Feeling Again (with Reading)

I admit it! I completely slacked off after my last blog post (more of photo dump). AHHH. Old habits die hard. My procrastination and laziness frequently rears its ugly head in my ideally ordered life. Boo.

What I'm happy about though is that I've been getting to read more these days (does that explain the missing blog posts?). My Kindle, Paraluman, is finally getting a workout and I have a bunch of books lined up. Yay! It actually makes me miss those days when I was working as a reading coach. The best part of that job was lining up the books in the shelves, discovering exciting new titles, sitting on the carpet and just reading while waiting for the students to arrive.

I'm happy to find out about Goodreads,  a website that serves like an online bookshelf for people around the world. It reminds me of Shelfari albeit simpler and more streamlined, IMO. In its website, Goodreads describes itself as,
"...the largest site for readers and book recommendations in the world. We have more than 7,200,000 members who have added more than 260,000,000 books to their shelves. A home for casual readers and bona-fide bookworms alike, Goodreads users recommend books, compare what they are reading, keep track of what they've read and would like to read, find their next favorite book, form book clubs and much more. Goodreads was launched in January 2007. "

It also has a 2012 Reading Challenge which you can customize according to your own pace. I put 12 books in my own challenge, giving myself a month to finish a book. That makes for 12 books read in a year. Not much compared to my past pace but it's good enough to let the information sink in and give myself time to reflect on what I've read.

I hope that I can finally revive my dying reading life. Work and other activities has just taken up too much of my energy that I often find myself beat up at night to read a book. But I really miss reading, it has always kept my mind sharp and fresh with ideas. Now I just feel that my mind is slow and dull. Must.absolutely.get.back.to.reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.